A stucco exterior can serve as a beautiful feature of your home. However, left to itself without proper maintenance, it can become unsightly. Whether you want to learn more about stucco upkeep because you just bought a home, noticed some cracks in your stucco, or are deciding on new siding, Ai Restoration has the information you need. So, if you want your home to continue looking beautiful AND save money on future potential repairs, check out this checklist for all the basics.
Stucco Upkeep Checklist
First, let’s review some of the basic things you need to do to make sure your stucco always looks pretty. Rather than overwhelm you with every tiny detail, we’ve reduced this list to all the essentials. Thus, if you’re diligent in following this checklist, you’ll have everything you need. In fact, you can even print it out and keep it for reminders!
- To begin, regularly clean your stucco every couple of months. But DO NOT pressure wash it. Instead, you can follow our tips here and here.
- Next, check for any gaps near windows and doors. Also, protrusions, such as dryer vents and electrical boxes. Vigilance will ensure that if any gap occurs, you’ll spot it before water can seep in to cause damage.
- Then, if you notice cracks or nicks, DO NOT paint over them! Painting stucco destroys its naturally porous nature, trapping moisture in between the layers of your home, leading to destructive mold.
- Last, complete an annual inspection. When caught early, small cracks (less than 1/8″ of an inch) can be patched before they widen, and staining can be cleaned from the surface.
Other Info on Stucco Upkeep
Second, along with this checklist, it’s important a few other things in mind. For example:
- Be careful about mold. Mold can seep into your home’s foundation, causing dangerous rot. Therefore, if you notice mold, don’t think a simple scrub will do the trick.
- Be honest if you need repair or remediation. Although stucco is beautiful, maintenance isn’t always simple and straightforward. If you have problems with your stucco and either a) try to fix them yourself, or b) hire a second-rate company to do the job, that could cost you a pretty penny later.
Ai Restoration Can Help You Understand Your Stucco
Finally, it’s good to understand that small issues that may seem like minor repair or maintenance problems, can lead to bigger problems underneath the surface if they haven’t already. At Ai Restoration, we can provide a complimentary evaluation of your stucco and help you determine the best next step, including getting a stucco inspection or moisture report. One look at our reviews and you’ll see we’ve built a reputation for both the best work and the best customer service. Contact us to learn more about how we can help you.