Synthetic stucco, also known as exterior insulation and finish system (EIFS), can be finicky. As with any siding system on your home, its purpose is to protect your home from moisture. So if you face water damage, the system becomes compromised. However, full remediation can be expensive, costing both time and money. Today, we’ll talk about EIFS water damage, and when you need to consider remediation.
Causes of EIFS Water Damage
In order to determine whether or not you need remediation, we first need to consider the causes of EIFS water damage. In particular, when this necessitates remediation.
- Thin coat – EIFS is usually a thin, brittle coating applied over a soft substrate. This makes it susceptible to water damage.
- Improperly sealed – Water can wreak havoc on an improperly sealed system.
- Improperly installed – If you don’t need remediation due to the two aforementioned causes, and yet you have severe water damage, it’s likely your EIFS wasn’t properly installed.
Likelihood of EIFS Water Damage
Now that we understand some basic causes, let’s get into a little more detail. If you notice any of the following issues with your siding, then either a) you’re in danger of water damage, or b) the damage you’ve suffered will require remediation to fully repair.
- Roof flashing – effective flashing should have been installed at the roofline. If there isn’t any, then your EIFS system wasn’t properly installed.
- Cracking or bulging – Bulges indicate a delaminating or detaching from the polystyrene board. Water will infiltrate here and cause rotting.
- Ground contact – Your system should end no less than 6 inches from finished ground level. If it isn’t, or if the bottom hasn’t been sealed, your system wasn’t installed correctly.
- Windows and doors – If you see cracks or soft wood around your windows or doors, then water has come through. Furthermore, this may mean you don’t have proper window flashing.
Call Ai Restoration for a Consultation!
If you notice these signs, what can you do about them? The best way to determine whether your EIFS water damage needs remediation is to contact an expert. At Ai Restoration, we have over 20 years of remediation experience, including working with damaged EIFS. We can evaluate your siding and if necessary, help you determine a suitable replacement siding, such as properly installed stucco, brick, stone, or vinyl. Reach out to the pros at Ai Restoration!